Monday, February 8, 2010

Visiting Daddy

REJOICE ... we were able to score a visit and deliver cookies. I bake to alleviate stress. Today marks the one month mark he has been in training. We have a week to go and I am ready for him to come home. Being a single parent stinks. God Bless those who do it full time..all the time.

I think it's better then best that he is training local. My hubby is on loan to the unit from Tampa. Just so happens his home base is the Army training post here at home. So, what's the big deal? All the other soldiers in my husbands unit have their families scattered throughout Florida and must wait the whole 40 days to see their families. When the accident happened and now while he recovers, I get to go see him on post. It takes me no time to get there. Even if the visit is short, it's worth the trip.

He did have to go back to medical on Saturday. Turns out his wrist is fractured. He has been having migrains. I hope the migrains are temporary. Those things are awful to have.

The girls got to see their Daddy "at the Army" finally. Curiosity has been eating these two little sponges alive. Where is Daddy? Why can't he come home? Where is he? So when I got the opportunity to take them out there, I took advantage of it. We get there, it's after dark. We arrive on post, drive to his barracks and they leap from their car seats and out of the truck when they realize Daddy was walking our way. He has this unmistakable swagger you can see in the dark. It was a great visit. The girls got to see where Daddy sleeps, they got to see the bathrooms (I took them in the girls of course), they visited the chow hall. He took us on a short walk around the immediate area surrounding the barracks. Both girls were elated to see their Daddy. The couple times he's been home, the visits have been short, teasers really, as was this visit. We were able to visit long enough for the girls to see Daddy, where he was and where he slept.

Loading them in the truck to leave did not go smoothly. All would have been fine had Jenna not started to cry. When she started to quiver the lip and whimper, then Jordan joined in. Before I knew it I had a sad little symphony in the back seat. Misery loves company, don't you know. It was a sad, sad drive home.

As I got everyone home and tucked into bed, I couldn't help to feel sorry for these two small emotional beings. Jenna has her Pooh bear and Jordan has a whole herd of My Little Ponies that provide comfort for them. Will these "lovies", as my great grandmother used to call such things, be enough to sustain them through a whole year of deployment? What will I do if they aren't? I can't bake my way through the stress. He won't recognize us when he gets back!

No comments:

Post a Comment