Thursday, February 11, 2010

Scum Sucking Attorney

I am no attorney. Nor do I claim to be one. So if I make any statements that sound as though I don't know what I'm talking about, chances are, I may not know what I'm talking about. I am unfamiliar with the laws governing what hospitals can and can't do. I do know I am ticked. Real ticked.

I also know that my husband was in a military related bus accident a week ago. That is seven days. The hospital has filed A Claim of Lien against our house. Our copy arrived in the mail today. How is that possible? This attorney probably didn't even wait until the wrecker had the bus upright. This attorney was probably at the court house in front of the judge before my husband was even discharged. I bet this attorney saw the news feeds and had the paperwork all ready to go while they were still pulling soldiers from the wreckage.

Shands Gainesville never even billed us. How do they justify a lien of $10,408 against our house within a week of the accident? How can we be held accountable for a bill that we have never even laid eyes on? How can we be held accountable for a bill that we haven't been afforded a chance to challenge? I mean, my husband is in the military preparing for deployment and was in an accident. How can this scum sucking, bill collector attorney sleep at night? No phone calls were placed to me, no letters, no nothing. Just a Claim of Lien. This scum sucking attorney is holding a piece of our house hostage. It isn't right. Aren't there procedures?

The Claim of Lien isn't even the issue. It is the ease in which this scum sucking attorney got the lien. Am I to believe that anyone, anywhere can file a lien against a house if they feel they are owed money? How frightening is that? No notifications of any kind, just your copy in the mail. There are no judgments against me from the hospital. I NEVER GOT A BILL. There were no phone calls placed to me regarding my husband and the status of his insurance. He has coverage through the military. Just a lien. That's it. That's all we received.

In all fairness, the insurance information was provided to the hospital and I understand Tricare did not approve the claim. Some kind of glitch on their end. With Washington DC being pounded by a blizzard, there is nobody available to help sort this out. I know once DC workers can dig out and return to work, we can get this resolved. In reality, a lien isn't a big deal. As soon as the military approves the claim, we will receive a Satisfaction, which will remove our obligation. However, taking legal action so soon seems unreasonable.

3 comments:

  1. I can not stand ambulance chasing attorneys! They make the good ones look bad, and yes there are good attorneys....few but they exists.

    AG Jacksonville, Fl

    ReplyDelete
  2. if your husband is in the military and "on orders" you are protected under the sailors and soldiers act. You can't be attached in anyway (Legally by someone/creditor)or sued during this time.

    Seems like a mistake in many ways that can be fixed by going to the unsurance office on base as well as speaking to the hospital. If your husband is military, this should be covered 100%. It should take one phone call to fix this. by the way, Tricare always rejects the claim once or twice. A real pain to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a nice thing to know. Rejections right off the cuff? OMG. Thanks for your insight. I will keep that in mind and will be picking up the telephone!

    ReplyDelete